Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Get It, Literally


I am pretty anal when it comes to spelling, grammar and diction. I am aware that I tend to annoy people with this behavior but I can’t help it. Some, on the other hand, just keep mum out of fear or concern that they might upset me.

I am sure that like I, you and everyone else have anal-retentive tendencies too. You may freak out when the toothpaste tube is pushed from the bottom and not from the top. Others may be very particular with organizing things, arranging them in distinct order. Even my friend tissue-blots excess grease off her pizza everytime we eat out. Can you blame me if it drives me crazy when people spell or speak poorly? I am not alone, as I am aware that many people share the same anal-retentive behavior as I do.

A book that really caught my interest is the Xlibris release “Literally Speaking (A Journey in Two Words” by Jennifer Hughes. This self-published book is an artistic compilation of clichés (trite expressions which have lost real meaning), idioms (vernacular inclined to a geographical area), homophones (words that sound alike but differ in meaning) and euphemisms (a means of expressing something instead of its literal meaning).

Loaded with catchy illustrations, Literally Speaking (A Journey in Two Words) takes you into an ongoing journey to language in a simple and fun approach. In this book, you will find the literal answers to your otherwise figurative questions such as the meaning of the phrase “chicken strip” or what in the world “beer battered shrimp” means, literally speaking.

Engage in the informative and the delightful in this book. It is bound to make you get it (pick it up); get it (understand it); get it (buy it) and literally get it (you do it).

Check out the Xlibris website to get a copy of Literally Speaking (A Journey in Two Words).



No comments: